torsdag 6 oktober 2016

Reflections on my world-building project and mechanics

Greetings fellow tabletop enthusiasts!

A lot is going on over here with regards to IRL stuff, so I once again apologise for the lack of posts. However this blog is something I am doing out of my own free will because I like it, and it is not earning me any money, so I am not really sure why I just apologised for not blogging more often. XD lol Oh well.

I'm still working on my world-building project, as well as finding that I have renewed energy to work on the game mechanics for it as well. Not to mention I might have found another little game-mechanics side-project that I am also working on. It might seem like much, but switching between the two helps keeping me from getting too tired of one project, and both projects also help spawn ideas for eachother, so that is good. Yes. I am talking about game mechanics for tabletop RPGs here. :)

While the first set of mechanics is meant to be used with the world I am also creating, if I ever get to run a tabletop RPG game in it, the second set of mechanics is a bit different. They have nothing to do with the world I am building, but is more meant to be used for a Noir-style game, or a heist-game or similar thing. It feels different than what I am making for my world, and it should. Again, neither of these systems will probably ever be made into something I will sell or any kind of official product, but even if I am just intending for them to be used by me and my friends (if the systems ever get that far in development that is), I still want to do it right and not just take an already existing system, add a few houserules and be done with it. I'm not saying that doing it that way is wrong however, I am only saying that I want to try and build it from scratch instead. I enjoy the challenge. Admittedly, chances are that in the end some rules might be similar to things that already exist elsewhere, etc. It is almost impossible to do something completely, 100% original, as so many game systems already exist out there. But hey, if it is just for me and my friends, I don't really think it matters. :)

Sadly I have not been practising my map-making skills any more lately. I really should get back to that, but I rarely seem to find the time, or something else has my attention instead. I will try and get back to it when I can, but I have learned not to force it or promise too much. I will get to it when I get to it, basically. Maps will be a useful tool for me, I know this. They will act as a reference point as I continue to build the world. Writing is all good, but it isn't until I put it down on a map that I can see the actual relations and borders between different nations, cultures and races. It is an invaluable tool for me.

I think that is all for this time.

See you all later!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar