söndag 11 september 2016

A world-building project

Greetings!

For a while now I have been working on building a fantasy world. It is not something I am making for a specifit tabletop roleplaying campaign, or anything like that. Instead, it is something I am doing because I love doing it. Because I wanted to see what I could make if I gave myself complete creative freedom and didn't tie myself down by time-limits or to a specific adventure. I love building worlds, and the creative process that goes into it. Making all the pieces fit together, and making it both wonderous as well as making it make sense in some way. I find it all to be a very interesting intellectual challenge. :)

A friend of mine, who is also someone I have played tabletop roleplaying games with on occasion, has however convinced me to run a campaign in this world at some point. It will happen, but I will let the world take shape first and have the campaign be inspired by the world rather than the other way around.

The same friend has also convinced me to work on a game system for this campaign, rather than just using something that is already availiable. I was very hesitant at first, as I have never done anything like that before, but now I have found that I quite enjoy it and that I really find it an interesting intellectual challenge as well. Granted, it most likely won't ever be anything that I will make any money off of, but rather it will with 99% certainty only be a system that I use when playing in this particular fantasy world with my friends. That spare 1% is missing because life has taught me that you can never be 100% sure. Still, even though I am not planning on making an actual tabletop RPG out of it and selling it, I still find the creative process to be so much fun that I actually am putting a lot more effort into it than I originally thought I would.

So far the world-building has been going well, for the most part at least. I have material for about four different continents at the moment, but I need to put everything together. There are so many ideas in my head that I want to somehow incorporate into this world, but I know I can't use them all. So some might be saved for a later project or campaign. That being said, I already have ideas for probably two or three other worlds as well, so the left-over materials will definitelly get used.

Until next time!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar